Sunday, September 12, 2010

Montée la montagne

I love the French translation for climb the mountain. To my ears, montée sounds so similar to montagne; the words belong together!

La montagne Aaron, Allison, and I intend to climb is Mt. Toubkal, the tallest peak in North Africa (13671ft/4167m). We meet our guide, Hassan, and two mules in the tiny town of Imlil. We load our heavier packs of food and tents on to the mules, and begin hiking from an elevation of 5905 feet (1800 m). 



Aaron, Allison, and Hassan hike past Armd.
From Toubkal
Our mules pass us. We see them again at base camp.
From Toubkal
Along the way, we stop for refreshments in a makeshift shack. Our drinks are chilled by fresh mountain water. 
From Toubkal
I admire vegetation I've never seen before.
From Toubkal
We reach base camp after 5-6 hours of hiking on the first day. Aaron digs out the spaghetti he made, and we dive in enthusiastically.
From Toubkal


At our base camp: sunset followed by a stunning starry sky. 
From Toubkal

We wake on the second day at 6:00, before sunrise. Our big day, the forecasted 3-hour hike to the summit. My legs are exhausted from the day before. Another French phrase: j'ai fatigue. Literally translated: I have tired. Fatigue sounds so much more truthful at this point. As we hike up the scree (loose rocks), I had to remind my sleepy mind and tired body to keep going. I will do this. Berber guides stop and ask us how we are; I tell them in French and English that I am tired, but happy. I allow myself time to rest and breathe. A view of the summit gives me new motivation and energy. 

From Toubkal
From Toubkal

After the false summit (see above), we reach the real summit, marked by people who've celebrated before us. 
From Toubkal
From Toubkal

I love the view, the fresh air, the cold wind and the warm sun. 
From Toubkal
The descent is difficult, trying to maintain balance on sliding dirt and rocks while caring for my knees. We turn around and hike the whole way down, resulting in about 9 hours of hiking in one day. I lag behind, being careful, and make occasional small-talk with Hassan. 


For me, hiking this far brings me back to the basics of thinking, listening, and moving forward one step at a time. I celebrate where I've been and where I'm going to. I look backward and admire, forward with excitement and anxiety. I listen to my body. Sometimes it has energy, other times I have to push myself to keep going. 


J'ai fatigue, mais je suis happy. 
-Karissa

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading the adventures. This is one mountain I never had time to visit. Thanks for sharing. Great pictures. Missing all there is to enjoy in Morocco=stress free living!!!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like this was a challenge, but worth it in the end. I like how you wrote about lagging behind and listening to your body and pushing forward at times. I think I would have listened to my body's fatigue (and given into it!). You are one motivated woman!

    ReplyDelete